Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Shots of me in A Good Day to Die Hard

I finally broke down and bought a copy of A Good Day to Die Hard. I say 'broke down' because when my sons and I watched it originally, well, we just didn't find it to be a very good movie. We loved all the other Die Hards, but this one lacked a memorable bad guy and the story was overwhelmed by too much of a fixation on non-stop action. Bruce Willis seemed much more of a tourist in this rather than the focus of attention, and I think that also weakened the movie.

But it was great fun to do several extra scenes for the film, even if almost all of it got cut. Sorry that the following photos aren't so great, but I couldn't figure out how to do real screen grabs from the blu-ray and had to settle for taking photographs of the tv screen. (click the photos to enlarge)
Here I am just the little blurry 'CIA agent' standing in the background while Mary Elizabeth Winstead greets her brother and father at the airport. This scene is in the theatrical cut only. They filmed quite a lot here and I even got to drive the car away, but they chopped most of it out.
Same scene a bit earlier on. I'm standing just behind Mary Winstead. The guy with her was some friend of Jai Courtney who came in just to do this little part.
This is a scene set in Moscow (though shot in Budapest) where the three main characters are about to enter a gun shop. I'm the 'Russian businessman' just to the right of Sebastian Koch.
I wish I could have captured blu-ray quality shots, but this is still pretty cool, at least for my kids and me!


13 comments:

  1. We can really see you in that last scene! Awesome, Ted.
    I still haven't watched it after hearing that it wasn't very good. Bummer way to end a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I don't think I would have even bought it except it was on sale quite cheap one day on Amazon. It really isn't a good movie, and the gun shop scene is only available as a deleted scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I haven't seen the movie, but I'm a Bruce Willis fan. I like his smile.

    You're looking sharp in that photo, Ted! Not many of us can claim having acted in a movie, with Bruce Willis, no less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.G., all the real actors would say I did no acting, since I was just an extra, but it was still fun. I did get to do some (small amount) of acting in a different movie that should come out at the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a lot of fun! Even showing only deleted scenes with me in it would surely win me some brownie points (especially with my kid). I only wish!

    When my sister stayed with me a couple years ago, she decided to try getting into acting. She didn't really have any experience, but she wanted to try it, and she got to participate in the making of an indie film. A supporting role, even. She knows she will probably never get paid. It doesn't matter. She enjoyed the experience, and there could be more opportunities n the future. My only grip is the links to the completed movie she sends me aren't working. Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the typos. :(

      Delete
    2. Yes it was fun, even if you always keep wishing you could do more. I did get paid, though, and had to pay taxes on the income. It was nice to get a W-4 form this time!

      Delete
    3. Yep, I figured that you would get paid for it. My sister is hoping what she did might at least lead to something like that, an extra in a major motion picture where she can actually get a paycheck.

      It really is awesome, Ted! I hope you get many more opportunities.

      Delete
    4. Sadly it seems that the movie making phase here in Budapest crashed to a halt. I think the government took away the tax incentives. Anyhow, I have one better part coming in December, and I hope that movie will be better. It's a comedy, at least.

      Delete
  6. Pretty cool. I'll look out for you when it turns up on tv.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its still cool you got to be an extra :)

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mood, I doubt they'll show the deleted scenes on tv, and the airport scene was cut from the extended edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But still you got a chance to work with these guys...I think that is more than enough. I am sure you will get more opportunities soon.

      Delete